Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Everyday Enemies

As I was reading Psalm 18 today I read of David's struggles against those who would devour him. His enemies were mighty, enduring, and powerful. Sometimes he grew discouraged of the battle, but David clearly understood that the Lord was at work. He knew that his victory against his enemies had everything to do with God's power to overcome them. David put His focus in the right place - he didn't duck the reality of a powerful enemy, BUT HE KNEW THAT THE POWER OF GOD WAS GREATER!
So how does that matter to me? No one is coming after me with an army. No one is chasing me with a spear or shooting arrows at me. My day is pretty much normal. BUT...
this morning I came to realize that the enemies I face have to do with the patterns of my flesh! My ultimate Enemy uses the habits of my life to lie, cheat, steal, destroy, murder in my own life. What are those enemies? You know them as well as I do, even though they may be different in your life. Temper, selfishness, pride, gossip, greed, laziness, fear, on others.
I see with new eyes that these are enemies that I must handle like David did his flesh and blood enemies. I must make God my rock, I must run to my fortress and take refuge in my Lord. I haven't the power or the strength to address these enemies on my own - I have to be in prayer and in the Word to fight these daily enemies (which might change from day to day).
Read all of Psalm 18 today. Look particularly at verses 37 - 39. God has already given us the weapons to fight our everyday enemies. Take the time to look at where the enemies live in your life. Commit those enemies to the Lord, and specifically seek His Word on how to destroy them. We have to stop seeing these enemies of our holiness as 'habits', 'just who I am', 'part of my character', or 'I've been this way too long'. Those are exactly the lies satan wants us to believe so he can steal, cheat, and destroy our testimony of God.
Pick up the armor, girls, let's do battle against the everyday enemies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment